Monday, October 20, 2008

Gratitude

Well, I'm working on gratitude. As I mentioned in a previous post, things are TIGHT finacially for us right now. So, I am trying to remember that things are definitely better than they once were. This is a scrapbook page I made of our first apartment. It was literally one room about 6 ft.x 6ft. The bathroom was SO small that the sink was out in the main room. You would walk in the door and have literally inches to scoot between the bed and the tiny refrigerator. Next to the refrigerator was a sucky gas stove, then the tiny bathroom, the sink, a tiny closet, my desk and you were back to the bed. We literally had 2 cubic feet of free space in the whole apartment. It was SO hot and we couldn't figure out why. The day we were moving out we discovered a knob on the old fashioned heater--too late to do us any good.
Oddly enough, our landlord was a former mission companion of Scott's father. We know refer to that landlord venomously as "the slum lord of Provo."
Another thing I'm grateful for is my own washer and dryer. We didn't have a set of our own until Emily was about a year old. I can't tell you what a nightmare it was to pack everything up (with a weeks worth of laundry from two small kids, a spitty baby and two adults) into my double stroller in the dead of winter with snow and ice all over the walks and streets and trying to hurry and get the laundry into the washers because I miraculously got all three of my kids to nap at the same time, but not wanting to leave them alone for long in the skanky apartment complex we lived in because it was cheap. Just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Sarah said...

holy moly that's a small place! I hope it was only like $50 a month or something! :)

Heather said...

You are going to die, I think we paid $265 a month for that piece of junk! But it was cheaper than anything else we could find.

Chelsea said...

Heather! Hello! ...so the getting sick has nothing to do with being pregnant. Just ever since we got married I have had illnesses right and left. I was throwing up on our honeymoon, I had a horrible soar throat that lasted at least a month...and I have had a lot of stuffy noses. We were just joking about how I always seem to have something wrong with me.

Chelsea said...

Hey, don't worry about it, a lot of people always ask me if I'm pregnant. :) I'll make sure that you are not out of the loop when I do have that kind of news. So, speaking of children...for some reason I didn't make the connection that you had 5 children! That is such a fun huge family!

Betsy Hite Reddoch said...

I so remember that little "apartment"!!! That was one crazy small living space!

Yes, we both have a lot to be grateful for!