Wednesday, January 30, 2008

President Hinckley

I was shocked when my Methodist friend arrived at my doorstep to drop off her daughter for me to take to school (she and Emily go to the same preschool) and she told me how sorry she was to hear about the president of my church. To my great astonishment he had passed away Sunday evening. It wasn't unexpected, he had been suffering with cancer and he was 97 years old, but to me it seemed as if he would live forever!
I apologize for the tardiness of my post. I have a hard time thinking outside of the box sometimes. I've put my blog into the category of posting pictures of me and my family and what's going on. All of my friends did a tribute to President Hinckley on their blogs, and I don't want to be a copy cat just to be a copy cat. But as I've sat reading their beautiful words I can't help but think how much President Hinckley has been a part of our family. His life and passing more than anything I can think of have been a pervading influence in our home and hearts. He truly was a prophet of God. He did have a talent for helping everyone to feel like he loved them, and we all feel like we personally knew and loved him too. His accomplishments were all emcompassing, he led the church into a new era of temple building, established a relationship with the media, and loved the members so much he spent months traveling the globe to extend the hand of fellowship and gratitude to them all. He was a mighty man of God and he will be sorely missed. But like all of my friends I can't feel sad for myself very long, for he has been reunited with his wife whom he dearly loved and with the Lord whom he faithfully, ceaselessly and energetically served. What a glorious day for him! We love you President Hinckley and can't wait to greet you in the next life and express our gratitude for all you've done for each of us!

1 comment:

Kristie said...

What a beuatiful tribute!!! Thanks for sharing that.