Friday, January 18, 2008

Back to the hospital!

Well, Hadley has another fever and is congested and green boogery again! We called her doctor's office last night and they sent us back to the emergency room at Cook Children's! Oy, vey--let this be a lesson to all of you, never have a winter baby!
After another onslaught of tests, booger sucking, urine collecting, blood drawing and ANOTHER spinal tap, the conclusion was that my poor tiny baby has a urinary tract infection! Poor little one! So, after five hours in a tiny stark white poorly vented room, they gave her a shot of antibiotic, made us wait another half an hour to make sure she didn't have a negative reaction and then sent us home.
I only have a few things to say about all of this: 1)I am certainly grateful for the medical advances of our time 2)I really hope we don't average an emergency room visit per month for the rest of the winter and 3)I don't know how moms and dads who have kids frequently in the hospital do it--it's emotionally draining, time consuming and--at times--extremely annoying! I swear they'd wait just long enough between procedures for her to fall asleep and then they'd come back in again and torment my beautiful baby! I know that it was good to take the precaution and I'm glad they did. It's hard to see a needle draining spinal fluid sticking out of your little babies back who's curled up in a little ball and turning red because she's in pain and crying in terror, she doesn't know what's going on and she's being firmly restrained by a complete stranger who just wants to get this procedure done so she can go and do the next one so she can go home when she's supposed to.
Okay, my rantings are starting to sound bitter, and I'm really not. I guess I'm just starting to realize that people are human. Yes, even doctors and nurses. They also get short handed and tired and other stuff just like "regular" people.
Well, we'll go get her antibiotic and hopefully she'll start feeling better soon!
For those of you interested in stats, Hadley is now 10 lbs and 3 oz. They didn't measure her height though. We have to go follow up with her doctor today, so maybe they'll measure her. The battery in my camera died, so I have no new pictures to post, sorry :(

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

How sad! I feel for you guys and all the er visits. We had quite a few the last two months too! It's not fun at all. They do so many tests...yuck! I hope she gets better!!!

The Wibergs said...

I'm sorry Hadley's sick. I've had to make a late night er trip (with an 8 year old) before & it is NOT fun! It must be so much more aggravating with an infant! Hope she's better soon.
Carin

Kristie said...

I am so sorry!!!! My heart goes out to you since we have been there before!!! We will be praying for her quick recovery!!!!! Hugs and kisses!!!!

Sarah said...

Ohhh I'm so sorry! Your poor baby!!! I hope she feels better soon!