Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Here's for you Brian

My brother-in-law Brian requested pictures of our garden. He grossly overestimated my gardening prowess. It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I planted the peas and beans too late and they were fried by the heat and eaten mercilessly by bugs (I still can't decide how I feel about using pesticide in my own garden, and I have tried natural solutions like garlic and cayenne, but they are labor intensive. Any other suggestions are certainly welcome!)
You can see my overgrown row of Swiss Chard that I never have the energy to go out and pick so that I can steam it for dinner. I didn't adequately thin the beets, so they never grew to more than tiny stubs. You can see some of the purple dragon carrots that I planted, they've grown well despite never being thinned. And most of what's visible is the two cucumber plants that have overrun the garden.
You can also see my failed attempt at tomato plants in a giant pot. Maybe I'll have more time to do a better job next year. I think I'd also like to add on another 8x8 foot along the retaining wall. We'll see!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Rob O said...

Sounds like a job for grandpa Oliver!

Aly said...

Atleast you have a garden this year! I am missing ours terribly!!! I am determined to get it planted next year! I think yours is rather cute:)

Kristie said...

Better than mine!! I never did get one in. It looks good to me.

Jenni said...

It doesn't look that bad. At least it's pretty and green. I put my cucumbers in tomato cages. It works great. Saves space,too.
Brian picked all my carrots because he said I didn't thin enough. I was so mad, he didn't even give them a chance, and my lettuce patch was over run by weeds. On the other side of the house things were looking pretty good until a couple of weeks ago. Everything was big and green. I was even getting some tomatoes (which hasn't happened in 8 years). I even had a beautiful watermelon. That is until you cut it open, it was all white inside, except for a tiny little light pink center. How do you tell when a watermelon is ripe anyway? Now my garden has some sort of virus or fungus or something and it's dying. I going to start researching now, planning and working all winter. I think I'm going to try square foot gardening next time. I'm going to have a good garden if it kills me.