Friday, October 16, 2009

Day 8

Some of you know that for a couple of weeks now I have had the opportunity to watch my back-door neighbor's seven week old baby. It has been nothing if not a challenge. It always amazes me how one forgets so quickly what it is like to have a new baby in the house. Babies are SO demanding of time, attention, emotional support, and you are just always holding them. My muscles are very sore. She didn't come today because her mommy was able to take a paperwork day at home and so today I am grateful for...

quiet.

With the baby not here it was amazingly quiet. And she's a very good little baby. Crying is just their only means of communication. So today it was just Hadley and Benjamin and me, and boy was it quiet today. I loved having a clear head to have actual connected thoughts. I loved the opportunity to listen to the still small voice. In some ways, quiet can be much more soothing and beautiful than the most wonderful music. Quiet is restful and secure. I loved my quiet day and I am thankful that there is such a thing as quiet.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

How nice for you! I still can't believe you're watching a baby.

But, I didn't know it was your back-door neighbor!! We met the baby's grandma and big sister at the park a couple weeks ago!!! The girls had so much fun with their new friend and we were supposed to meet up again, but it didn't happen!