Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The dangers of inflatable swimming pools!

Yesterday Ryan learned first hand the dangers of inflatable swimming pools in friend's back yards. He was leaping into the pool, and must have landed wrong on his foot. He had been outside less than five minutes when he came back inside crying. It was kind of funny, he really didn't act like he was in a whole lot of pain, but he couldn't put any kind of pressure on his right foot.
That's what finally made me decide to take him to instacare. Ryan was seen by the same doctor who looked at Julia's tennis ball sized, infected mosquito bites in May.
She gave him a cast shoe and some crutches, which Ryan lovingly refers too as "pole sticks". He loves walking around on them, and has been telling me over and over how, when he's a daddy, he's going to tell his kids not to jump into swimming pools because when their daddy was seven, he did that and broke his foot.
The doctor said he had a fracture on one of the smaller bones on the top of his foot. She said he should be all better in three to six weeks and only has to use the crutches for three days. Lucky boy! He was kind of sad at first that he didn't need a cast. But I told him the story of when I broke my arm when I was seven. I think that's what sparked the idea to tell his kids his story.
Julia has taken prodigious care of Ryan. Getting him pillows, carrying his crutches up the stairs, getting him drinks. What a lucky boy to have such a nice sister!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow! I guess you can pretty much hurt yourself anywhere...but that worries me!

Kristie said...

Poor little guy!!! I am glad that he is okay though and that he has such a good sister to take care of him!!!!!