Sunday, December 17, 2006

Medical mystery

Ryan popped out a cold sore on Monday. Not at all unusual for Ryan. Increased amounts of stress or worry will give him a cold sore. On Wednesday night he looked white, tired, and didn't even complain about what I made for dinner. Low and behold he had a 100.6 temperature. Thursday it went down to 99.6, but the fever kept him out of school with no other symptoms.
Friday he woke up with another low grade temp, which effectively kept him home from school again. By Friday night it was back up to 101. Saturday he woke up with this strange rash surrounding his cold sore. The world may never know what went on.
I took Ryan to the doctor yesterday. Apparently even though he was immunized, he has the chicken pox. And because of the location of the sores, they had become infected! He gave us some medicine and Ryan is on the mend! Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Wow! How crazy. It looks kind of like impetigo (I don't think that I spelled that right) but that shouldn't cause a fever I don't think. I hope that he gets over it soon.

Heather said...

I finally took him to the doctor yesterday (Monday). Apparently even though he was immunized, he has the chicken pox. And because of the location of the sores, they have become infected! He gave us some antibiotic cream and they look better already!