Sunday, December 07, 2008

Ryan's birthday party

This year Ryan's birthday was actually on Thanksgiving day, and we were down in Houston visiting our good friends the Anways. I thought about having a party for Ryan that next Saturday, but we were only inviting three friends, and his very best friend was still going to be out of town. So, we settled for the next Saturday even though it was far away. I think just the fact that it was a whole new month made it feel even farther away even though it isn't really. Anyway, we had a crazy day. All of the three friends we invited showed up. Julia has a little boy friend from church who often shows up at our doorstep with no shoes or socks or jacket on in the freezing weather asking to play. His kid radar was in full swing, he showed up and totally lucked out, cake, ice cream, pizza, the works. Our little next door neighbor girl had her kid sensor turned on as well. Her mom called and asked if she could come over. I have such a hard time saying no. I think especially to these neighbors because I know the state of our lawn bothers them immensely and they try to still be kind and nice to me. Embarrassing. One of Ryan's friends, Braden, who was at the party, his mom is one of my good friends, and she asked if I could watch her five and two year olds for an hour right during the party. She is SO good to me I felt again like I couldn't say no. Actually, I was happy to do it. I had set aside the time to be doing a party, and entertaining kids, so it was no big deal. Just a bit crazy, at the height of kid-ness we had 12 kids 9 and under at our house. Tangent--back to the party. Ryan is currently obsessed with Pokemon. So I made him a pokemon cake. I go back and forth between being embarrassed about how it turned out, and thinking I did a pretty good job.
Ryan currently is incapable of making a normal face for the camera.
Blowing out the candles.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kristie said...

Weston's last party was Pokemon too, but I decided that it was too hard to draw an actual Pokemon, so I just made Pokemon ball cupcakes!! They were so easy! I think that your cake turned out great!!!!! Way better than I could have done! :) That is sure a lot of kids!

The Chaffin's said...

My first impression of the cake was that it was store bought which means I think you did an awesome job! I'm sure it tasted just as good as it looked too!