Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Herbal Tea Addicts not-anynomous

Alright, I have to admit that as I watched the First Presidency Christmas Broadcast I was thrilled at one remark made by Elder Uchtdorf. The whole thing was wonderful, and just what I needed to calm down about all the presents and remember the true meaning of Christmas. But one remark in particular gave me great joy. He talked about sipping hot cocoa and herbal tea at Christmastime.
Recently, I have become somewhat of an herbal tea addict. I have spent over $100 purchasing herbal teas. At first, it was my method of cutting out my horrible Coca-cola and Dr. Pepper addiction. It was reeking havoc on my poor back. I started drinking a cup in the morning and one at night, and I am now in love with the whole process.
It reminds me of proper English women and men, which I love because I have always been fascinated by England and Ireland. It forces me to slow down and take a minute just to sit and be calm. You can't drink hot herbal tea fast. You have to sit and sip slowly. The whole process is revitalizing. As I sit there and breath in the good hot steam and hold the warm cup in my hands, I just start to feel better, and able to keep pushing forward. I also have to add that I usually struggle mightily with allergies and sinus infections in the winter, and this year they have been practically non-existent. As I have done research, I found out that Rooibus tea (pronounced roy-bus) has been proven in some studies to be very helpful in controlling and reducing allergies. I have found this to be SO true. And Rooibus with it's full body and many flavor options has quickly become my favorite.
So, if any of you mom's out there need a little something to promise yourself at the end of the day to help you make it through the beating that is most days as a mother of small children. You may want to consider buying yourself a tea kettle and some good herbal teas. If you want, you can leave a comment and I would be happy to recommend a few of my favorites. Below is a review I left on one of my favorite tea manufacturers about one of my new favorite teas. For me, I have also found that I like tea a lot better if I steep two bags instead of one for the full six or seven minutes it suggests. Most teas I love with about a teaspoon of sugar and a teaspoon of the French Vanilla Coffee-mate powdered coffee creamer. Heaven!

4 comments:

todd & nicole said...

As missionary, I had to drink "bad" herbal tea at people's homes that I can't bring myself to drink it anymore. (Literally people would pull stuff out of their garden, add hot water and call it herbal tea.) I'll stick with the hot chocolate. I do agree that it is completely relaxing to sit and enjoy a hot drink. Unfortunately hot chocolate, other than the obvious benefits of slowing down to drink it, probably doesn't have the other health benefits of tea.

Jill said...

I've become addicted to Starbucks Hot Chocolate. I have one almost everyday on my lunch hour. With a cinnamon scone. The Starbucks people know my name and are getting my hot chocolate ready before I even order it!!!

Gary said...

You Grandma Oliver was a great lover of herb tea.

Aly said...

That sounds so nice I may have to try some:)