Thursday, June 19, 2008

Swimming? Birthday Bash

The swimming part of our birthday bash was rudely cancelled by the torrential rain to which we awoke this morning! Too bad, it certainly would have made for an easy and entertaining party. Oh, well, such is life, ehh?
This is the glorious end result of my struggle to create the Tropical Pool Cake from Woman's Day magazine that Julia has wanted for two years. I finally took a stab and it was fairly easy. Except, they make it sound like you just pour the jell-o into the hole in the cake to make the water and everything just works out fine. I poured the jell-o in and the cake sucked it all up! I kept pouring thinking, maybe eventually some will stay where it's supposed to. NOT! I eventually just put the cut-out piece of cake back in and made the pool with blue frosting. I had to glue the soggy, jell-o laden cake back together with frosting, let it sit in the refrigerator to solidify and then just make it look the best I could. At least I thought the end result was passable.
Happy Birthday to Julia!

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

kristi said...

wow heather! I am impressed with this cake! I don't know what it ended up tasting like with your whole jello fiasco, but it looks so real!! I tried making Maile a a big round "cheetah print" for her Cheetah girls party a couple of years ago. I am so embarrassed of what it ended up looking like...I tried not to get it in any of the pictures!

todd & nicole said...

I am so impressed with your cake. It is amazing. I loved all your family pictures from a little while ago too...I just haven't gotten around to comment. :) It looks like you guys are having a great summer.

Mary Killion said...

My mom made this exact cake for me way back when! I bet Julia's tasted so good!
I love looking at all your pictures--keep them coming! :)

The Chaffin's said...

The cake looks awesome!! I'm sure Julia was so happy to finally get her cake!

Aly said...

That cake is adorable!!! I have that same Womans Day magazine...it's fun to see someone actually make that cute cake!!! Happy Birthday Julia!!!

The Chaffin's said...

Hey I was thinking about the cake and I bet if you used piping gel and colored it blue that gives it the watery look...just fyi for the next time you tackle that cake!!!!

Heather said...

I'm remembering now that the instructions said to use a pound cake. At the time I didn't think it would matter if I substituted a white cake, but the pound cake is more dense, and I don't think the jell-o would soak through it. So, use the pound cake!