Friday, June 22, 2007

Happy Father's (and Grandfather's) Day!

Every year at Father's day I think of my beloved Grandpa Oliver who passed away from lung cancer when I was ten years old. He was a doting grandfather and I loved him with all of my heart. I sure hope he's accepted the gospel up in heaven. He was a great man!
How could I think about Father's Day without remembering my daddy. He was the greatest dad a kid could ask for. I had a healthy fear of him which kept me from making bad choices. He spent countless hours playing with us. Football, jumping on the trampoline, teaching me how to shuffle cards, doing the five kid hang, wrestling and rubbing kids with his stinky socks still on his feet. What a great example he has been to me. His ability to change for the better astounds me. His perseverance when the light is too dim to see the way makes me hope that there is a little bit of his strength in me. I love you with all my heart dadda!
Scott makes fun of this story. This is a picture of me and my dad taken right after I graduated from high school. He came up to me with tears in his eyes, hugged me tight and said to me, "We sure had some ride, didn't we kiddo?" That meant more than anything in the world to me. My dad came to almost everything I did, concerts, sporting events, you name it, he was there routing me on. He was my biggest fan, and it gave me a quite confidence in myself that has helped me throughout my life. Thanks dadda!
Here we are in the testing center at BYU waiting for Scott to finish with a test so he could meet my parents. I had bought that shirt for dad for a Father's Day present and he wore it with pride!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

gary said...

I enjoyed this very much and I know your dad did as well. I too hope that Grandpa Oliver has accepted the gospel - we have done everything we can do.
I remember Grandpas passing as my first opportunity to meet you and your brothers and sisters.

Uncle Gary