Friday, January 02, 2009

Pre-surgery

Julia felt nervous about her surgery and found a safe place to be, under grandpa's fuzzy body pillow where he had been sleeping. She must know that grandpa=safety.
Here's Scott, Haddie and Julie getting ready for surgery. Julia and Hadley were both very brave and did an excellent job. The hardest part of both was watching them come out of anesthesia. Hadley screamed for about 15 minutes and was inconsolable. She would rear her head back and try to push away from me. She didn't know who I was, she didn't know where she was, she was in pain and her world was spinning. It seemed like I just barely got Haddie calmed down and they were bringing Julia in. She was peaceful for the first minute and then she started to wake up. Her teeth would chatter horribly. She was SO cold. She kept acting like she was going to puke. The more awake she became she started trying to jump off of the bed. Then she started trying to pull out her IV and all the other cords that were connected to her. She was wailing that she couldn't talk, that her throat hurt. I have never understood why she doesn't get that crying like that hurts her throat even more. She kept telling me she wanted to go home. Then when the nurse unhooked her and told us we could go, she said she didn't want to go, she wanted to stay right where she was. Funny little girl. I'm glad we did it now though, as hard as it has been for Julia, it was 100 times harder for Scott to have his tonsils out at 27.
Here's Haddie trying to pull the oxygen sensor off of her big toe. We finally just put a sock over it and then she left it alone. I was hesitant that putting tubes in Haddie's ears was the right thing to do until the doctor came out and told us that when he punctured her ear drums to put the tubes in he found SO much puss and infected goo that he had to suction her ears before he could put the tubes in. That kind of problem I don't think would have cleared up on its own no matter what we tried. It's amazing how everything that happened that day and the few days before worked almost like clockwork. The Lord does go before our face and prepare a path for us. When Scott and I were on our anniversary night away we saw a TV advertisement for a CD collection of gospel songs. On of them was "Our God is an awesome God" and as funny as that seemed to us at the time, it really is true.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

How scary! I have never had to take any of my kiddos for surgery or even to the hospital, let alone 2 of them at the same time! Your super mom! I hope they are both feeling better. Good luck with the recovery, I hope it is quick!

Kristie said...

I am glad that everything went well. I would have to agree that the waking up from anethesia is the worst part of the whole thing. Amber acted very similar to Haddie when she had hers done. I really hope that it helps with her ear infections. I know that is has helped Amber, even though it is sad when she still gets ear infections and you can see the stuff coming out of their ears. It is still better than all that pressure that they had before the tubes. I hope that Julia has a quick recovery and that everyone is well in no time!! Our prayers are with you guys!

Unknown said...

Glad everything went well too!!

Sarah said...

Your poor babies! I was happy to see them at church today! I hope they are doing well!

The Wibergs said...

I'm glad to see that everything went well and both the kids and mom are doing ok.

Jenni said...

I had no idea your kids were having surgery. I'm glad they are doing well and your parents were there too. We missed you guys at Christmas, and are very excited to see you this summer.

Marie said...

ANesthesia stinks! It really changes kids. The first few times with Drew was really freaky. The sad thing is that it doesn't really seem to effect him anymore! Robby had it earlt December and he seemed to be doing awesome (no crying, screaming or ANYTHING) and then he suddenly went crazy and started the "Pull out the cords, hop off the gurney and run away" routine. It was hard because I had Kael with me too! UGH! But, they get through it and it is generally so worth it! I am glad everything went as well as possible and I know Jules and Haddie will both feel SOOO much better! :)