Monday, March 02, 2015

Gluten free, Dairy free and added Cane Sugar free

Many of you think I'm crazy! Thanks for your input. I have taken all advice and opinions into account, but I continue on the path I feel I need to travel to be healthier. I also would like to state that this decision has not been reached lightly. I have spent years trying to eat healthier. As I reflect back over the things I have tried, the best I have ever felt is when I am following Phase I of the South Beach Diet. A complete removal of sugar and grains, and very little dairy. I really believe that the over abundance of wheat, dairy and sugar in EVERYTHING I eat, has caused my body to be intolerant to those things.
That being said, I know it will be a difficult journey. I really have tried, and failed, for years and years to change the way I eat. I really hope that this time the change sticks. It has become clear to me that I am a bread, sugar and dairy addict! And that just like someone addicted to any other substance, I need to completely abstain from those things. I'm hoping that this approach will allow me to be in control of my body. And to view food how it should be viewed, as fuel. I'm hoping that taking out the emotional component to my eating, will allow me to be successful this time. And will give me back my energy, my focus, my control and my health!
Yesterday, sitting in church listening to the 1st counselor in the bishopric talk to the Junior Primary children, it also dawned on me that I need to severely cut down the amount of meat that I eat as well! ACK! But, one thing at a time. My first goal is to bump up my fruit and vegetable consumption to half of what I eat, and to make sure that I am drinking 8 glasses of water a day. I am also trying to be gluten, dairy, and added sugar free, but I'm not going to stress out if I don't do that perfectly for the time being.
It's been over a week since I started attempting to eat this way, and already I feel better. It's easier to wake up in the morning, I can focus better, after the initial detox headache that lasted for three days, I haven't had any headaches. I am kinder and not as easily angered. My acid reflux has disappeared. And I have lost almost five pounds.
For those of you who feel sad for the rest of my family, consider yourself put at ease. I am making this choice for me and me alone. But I do hope that it will have some positive ramifications for all of us.

The list of positive health ramifications goes on, but I won't continue to bore my readers.

I'm still learning what I need to keep on hand to eat this way. So, a lot of my meals are improvised. Lunch was yummy! I oven roasted cubed sweet potato, diced onion, sliced mushroom, cauliflower and grape tomatoes with olive oil and chinese five spice. I ate the delicious concoction over penne Banza pasta made from Chickpeas. It was tasty :)

1 comment:

Torry said...

Just a note to respond to those who "feel bad" for your family: allergies and intolerances tend to run in families, so your diet may be better for them too.