Sunday, September 13, 2009

Blogging silence

I figure even without a camera, the blogging silence can go on no longer. I thought I'd just take a minute to let everyone know what's going on. Monday will be the beginning of the 4th week of school. Ryan, Julia and Emily all seem to be doing well in their classes and with their teachers. A sweet sister in our ward decided to start a preschool for $75 a month, and so we enrolled Benjamin. He goes Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9-12 and really seems to do well and enjoy his time at preschool. I was overjoyed thinking about all the "free time" I would have with just me and Hadley at home. Unfortunately, with Hadley there it isn't much like free time. She pulls me around everywhere saying, "Tome on," and feels like she needs my every minute attention.
I now officially have 17 piano students. 17! It's a little crazy, but I really love teaching. It's funny because before they arrive I dread it, but when we're in lessons I love it and things seem to go relatively smoothly. And I must own up to the fact that 3 of the 17 are my own children. That doesn't necessarily make it easier though, in a lot of ways it's harder to teach your own children!
Scott's still the EQP, and I'm still the 4th Sunday teacher in RS and the 3rd Sunday organist. We are busy, but happy. I don't know what was wrong with me before, but I just barely realized that it takes every hour of every day just to get the basics of day to day living done for our family. There really isn't a lot of extra time. I feel guilty, like I should be doing SO much more than I am, but in the quiet moments I realize that I am doing the most important thing that I will ever do, I'm being a mom to my kids and trying each day to be present and to love my job.

8 comments:

Jenny said...

You are amazing! We all have days (or longer) when we wonder if we're doing enough and feel guilty for the things that we aren't doing. But you ARE doing the most important things and you have amazing, talented, beautiful children. And wow! 17 piano students! You are incredible.

Angie said...

17 students? That's nuts! Hadley just needs your attention all the time because she's so glad to finally be the one to get you all to herself. I think that you're doing way more than a lot of us and way more than you think you are doing!

Shirlene said...

Just read a Random Sampler from the July Ensign that speaks to your very post and concern about "doing enough." Keep up the good work! You are growing children -- and they're great ones!

Kristie said...

I am glad to hear that you are alive and well!! You are doing great to have 17 students! WOW! I think that you do more than you think you do!! :)

Rob O said...

I remember the stage you are in so well. It was all we could do to keep the day to day going, never enough time, never enough money. Hang in there because it does pass and soon you will be in our shoes wondering where all the years went.

Chelsea said...

That is awesome that you have 17 piano students! So, I teach piano too and I was just wondering how you do your lessons. I like to see the different ways teachers do things.

Sarah said...

17 students?!!? You are crazy! That must be part of the reason I haven't talked to you as much recently! Don't push yourself too far or thin Heather, I don't want you to break!

Stephanie said...

I'm lucky Gordon has preschool in the afternoon so it coincides with Becca's nap. I've been struggling with a lot of the same feelings lately I think. I'm glad I'm not the only one.