Saturday, January 01, 2011

Ben's afghan

Knowing that we have three kids with birthdays in November, I wanted to get a jump on their afghans. I started Ben's in August. And right away I could tell that this afghan was going to be a doozie! I set it aside for a couple months because I was SO frustrated with how slowly it was working up. AAAHHHH!! You have to change colors almost every row. And it has a row of popcorn stitches and then a row of single crochet. Each of those two rows took me 18 minutes to complete. There ended up being 24 blocks of red-blue with 11 rows in each block.
Anyway, I finally finished it yesterday and did some calculations. This afghan took me 72 hours of actual crochet time to complete. It cost me $52 dollars for the 15 skeins of yarn that I used. And I ended up using almost 4,000 yards of yarn. But it is a thick and snuggly afghan and Ben loves it! I also made it extra long because my guess is that Ben will end up around 6'5" and I wanted him to be able to use it for years and years to come!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

The Wibergs said...

It sounds like an incredible amount of work, but I LOVE the way it turned out! Want to make me one next? ;)

Melissa said...

Wow, you have done some serious crocheting! Love seeing all your fun projects!

Angie said...

Holy cow, woman!! That's one valuable afghan. Good thing he loves it! It looks awesome!